This is an important event in history, especially Canadian and feminist history. So I’m going to tell you more about it.
1) The shooter had been rejected from Ecole Polytechnique prior to the shooting. He blamed this on these female students, claiming that they were feminists who ruined his life.
2) In the first classroom he entered, he demanded the men leave before shooting at the women. No man attempted to stop him as they left. Take that as you will. (Later on, several men did get injured trying to stop him in the hallways.)
3) In his suicide letter, he believed that feminists were attempting to be more powerful than men, and were trying to take men’s rights away.
4) Feminists were actually blamed by some for the massacre. The line of logic was “if feminists didn’t make women’s rights an issue, Levine wouldn’t have wanted to kill feminists!” Victim blaming at its finest.
5) The mainstream news media often did not publicize the outrage from women’s groups, and often preferred those who took a calm approach. Ironic, that.
6) Despite him literally having a hit list of feminist icons in his final letter, several newscasters questioned whether or not the shooting was a sexist act, some even denying the idea outright.
8) Many memorials for the victims have been created, and rightly so; however, some prominent ones were erected in poor neighbourhoods where many Native women were killed every day in the same time period as the shooting (see: Marker of Change, Vancouver) (see: Missing Women, Vancouver). Basically, white feminism happened.
The entire event was nothing short of a tragedy, and I recommend that everyone read up on it and the resulting aftermath. It’s… interesting to see how the media tried to turn it into a random act of psychopathy instead of what it was (we know better now, luckily). The reactions (memorials, etc) to the deaths of these 14 White, middle class women as compared to the deaths of 60+ Native, lower class women are also “interesting” to compare. (By interesting, I mean infuriating.)
Interesting to note - his suicide note listed 19 feminists he wished he had also killed. He wrote:
So people who say “kill all radfems,” that’s quite some company you keep.
How do we tell the good guys from the bad guys?
If they’re shooting at you, they’re bad.
House Tyrell + Name Meanings
when you get a really good partner for a presentation
Why is daft punk there
‘Mad’ King Ludwig of Bavaria designed the famous fairy-tale castle of Neuschwanstein. This is an illustration of the castle he planned to build next, Falkenstein, however the plans were abandoned after Ludwig’s death in 1886.
I wouldn’t mind living there.
..the odds are stacked incomprehensibly against us.. - SH
But it’s Christmas! - JW
I feel the same… Oh, you mean it’s actually Christmas - SH
Fun in the Yard with Milo and Diesel
Photos and caption by ©Craig Jewell Photography
Picture number 7, tho…
SCREAM THOSE CUTE BBS
how I leave uncomfortable situations
Blood Moon: April 15, 2014 in Los Angeles
I have literally been waiting for this gifset for all time
The many names of the Eleventh Doctor.
Actual five year olds.